Whew, what a week...am writing this as I hit the home stretch (12 hours to go) of my 48 hour marathon call weekend....am tired but it could have been much worse. :)
...survived lastTuesday night call (narrowly) with a whopping 45 minutes of sleep. You know it's going to be a long evening when your call night starts at 5:00 and the pager starts going off (have Pavlovian response of fear and loathing to that sound) at 5:00:37. I had a lot to do and "miles to go" before I slept. Called to ER (to back-up intern) to see patient transferred from Kinder (usually a sure bet for what I have termed an SOS patient {sick as snot}. For those not immersed in the nomeclature, it is a highly technical phrase {joking} meaning you ain't lookin so good.)
This lady had circulation problems, kidney problems, heart problems, lung problems....do I sound like Bubba from Forest Gump yet? Heart too weak to pump out all the extra volume retained by kidneys that don't work and won't put out urine....the body is a closed circuit so all that has to go somewhere, which happens to be the lungs, which causes more strain on the heart, which in turn lowered her blood pressure, thereby effectively ensuring that what extremely small amount of functional kidney was left did not get enough blood supply. Normally, some of the fluid can be removed by dialysis, but you can't dialyze a patient with a blood pressure of 85/48....and so it begins...I've been here before, and I suspect that no matter how long you've been doing this, it never gets easier (God help me and my patients if it does) ...you rob from Peter to pay Paul, no single decision is the "right one."
You try, and try some more and call the specialists to see if they have anything else to offer...you talk (and sometimes weep) with the family, who sometimes (like in this case, refuse to acknowledge the patient is very ill).....and you watch them get sicker and think and pray and question what you have missed, what else can be done? Why can't I be smarter and fix this? And then you sit, somewhat overwhelmed and inadequate at the bedside of someone who, 2 hours ago was a total stranger to you but has now become the center of your life, and no matter how tired you are you don't sleep because until 7 am the next morning, they come first. Before your wants and needs, comfort, sleep, your fears and insecurities.
You do this because, aside from the fact that it's your job, it's also your calling, your life; you would want someone to do the same if the roles were reversed...and even though you know you've done all you can, the reality is that any next breath could be their last and that makes you feel like a failure. It's an indescribable mix of emotions: you've reached the end of everything you know; you've stepped off the cliff of all that's familiar and proven and landed smack in the middle of a thorny patch called the unknown --it is a very humbling reminder, humility personified, actually......so you wait while time drags and trust and believe that the clock never stops and daylight is coming. Sometimes, amazing things happen-miracles actually-and you feel so rewarded (and relieved). It's like you're finally able to let out the breath you've been holding for the past 14 hours.
Occasionally you give hope in someone's darkest hour; (there is, conversely, no other feeling like this) and are rewarded-sometimes with a "thank you" from the patient or family, sometimes with an acknowledgement by an attending or colleague-- People pat you on the back and say things like,"good work," or "great job," but you just want to say, "thank you, Lord, that learning experience is over....pass the pepcid..." Sometimes no one notices....so you celebrate privately with the joy of fulfillment-of doing what you were called to do. You feel so small, a little in awe that you were an instrument in something so much beyond yourself.
I realized while I was typing this (forgive me; I'm occasionally dense) that becoming a "grown up" doctor is remarkably similar to becoming a "grown up" (mature) christian. You answer the call, easily trusting while still resting securely in all that you know, but before too long you're out in the middle of nowhere with no one to trust except yourself and your God. It is often said that the greatest lessons in medicine, the most lasting knowledge obtained, is in situations like the one from Tuesday. I can't help but think that those situations are where we learn the most spiritually as well.
Isn't that what God (who, by no coincidence was called the Great Physician) does, after all? He moves you out of your comfort zone, cozy in your nest of complacency and own strength, to a place where you are reliant on Him. He called 12 ordinary men from all walks of life to leave everything they had ever known to follow Him. He called Peter to step out of a boat and onto the water during a raging storm. He called Paul from a life of hatred and persecution toward believers....and He called Timothy despite his youth and inexperience....to step out into the unknown, step up to their calling, and step into His will (and consequently into his loving, protective arms)..... and look what happened as a result: We have example after example of God's faithfulness and how He used His people to further His kingdom. The Gospel was spread and the early Church was born.....and it just gets better from there. (Read all about it :) .)
So this is what I think: yes, my job is sometimes hard; whose isn't? But at the end of the day (or next day since sometimes they run together:)) it's not necessarily about being comfortable in your place, it's about being confident in it; that you're obedient and even though some situations are difficult and painful (and downright scary!), between the heartburn and humility, you will emerge.... stronger, smarter, and refined....into a closer likeness of whatever you are and what you long to be-whether it be doctor, teacher, carpenter..... or follower of Christ.
Sunday, February 19, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
ok my heart kicked up a notch just reading your post and knowing exactly how that feels. and i know that ultimately God will take people home when He chooses but you still don't want that time to be while the patient is under your care in the middle of the night! i wonder how non-Christian doctors handle what we do. i couldn't make it through a single day not knowing that He is in control and He is guiding every move and decision i make. i guess that's why drugs, alcohol, and sometimes suicide are so common in our profession...doctors trying to carry that weight on their own and using every means possible to numb the enormity of it all.
Girl I sure do miss you...just reading this makes me stop and think about my own walk and how I know it's not even close to being where it should be. I think about all you've been thru and continue to go thru and I just don't have excuse good enough to explain how I could let my focus become so far away from where it should be. You are an inspiration.
u have always had the gift and talent to express your heart felt
feelings by writing, i know i dont have that genetic gene-he.i know what you have seen and done as a professional, your hard work and obedience will not go unnoticed. believe that!! you are in my thoughts and prayers everyday.i know we are only 13
months apart, but you will always be my BABY sister, sometimes i think i am 13 years older-thank goodness i am not- keep up the awesome work!!
zzzzzzzz...the blog nazi says it's time to update. stacy will help you identify who i am.
I'm sooo sorry--I did an extensive (and dare I say it, relatively humorous blog last night, but when I posted it disappeared. How does THAT happen? I'll try to do better, with explanations..)Don't be mad, 'kay?
you know a good way to get your mind off the fact that you're on call this weekend would be to blog tonight...sorry i missed your call. i called at 10:15 (even though it was past your cutoff) but your cell said you were unavailable. and i only let it ring 2 or 3 times at your house. remember, they can't stop the clock...
Post a Comment