Thursday, April 20, 2006

Though None Go With Me

So, it's been an entire month since I last blogged (ahh, how I missed the therapy)....everything has been very busy... I think I'll have to write about everything in installments, the first of which must be about my vacation:
I spent an entire week doing a whole lotta nuthin' in Savannah, GA. I had a great time, despite the fact that I had to go alone. There's something liberating about traveling by yourself...setting out for the unknown...meeting new people...and for the sheltered (and stubbornly independent) among us...just proving you can do it. I made it there without too much mishap (However, I will say it was completely unnecessary for the ticket-counter-guy to point out that I had so much luggage...it was well under the weight limit (okay, 2 pounds) and did not need further commentary. He's not the one who had to lug it through the parking garage and through the terminal.)
My first evening there involved getting settled in to my room (an almost 200 year old inn with a view of a beautiful courtyard...so worth the money), meeting some of the other guests at the wine-and-cheese reception (or tea and cheese, in my case), and having dinner with an awesome family from North Carolina...the next day, or several days, actually, pretty much involved me exploring the historic district on foot...I walked the 2 miles sqare several times over...historic home, museums, churches, specialty shops, parks, cemetaries...I went through every single square...basically, I did it all: ....every morning I had coffee at the same cafe and did some "tilling" in Forsyth Park..(read Savannah from Savannah for further explanation). I went to the church where John Wesley preached, the house where Sherman (aka "that nasty, cahpat baggin' genril") declared the city, mostly due to its beauty, spared from destruction. I listened to choir practice in one of the largest cathedrals in the south. Heaven's music in a magnificent house of worship...not a bad way to spend a Sunday afternoon. The azaleas and wisteria were blooming, the streets were shady and moss-lined, the weather was cool and sunny...it was awesome.
My favorite things:
-Tybee Island (except the 2 mile walk only to discover the lighthouse was closed!) and the reminder of God's creative glory...the atlantic ocean.

-the ghost tours (for historical information, of course)

-the Owens Thomas House (designed in the early 1800's by a 24 year old English architect who, though I have not seen any photographic evidence, was probably kinda hot. :) They don't make them like that anymore (the house, i mean)...

-Almost being on a TV pilot (it's not my fault I was wandering and asked if I was there to be an extra...that's how people get "discovered"...they don't have jobs)

-The Savannah Candy Kitchen (chocolate pralines are better than regular...I know b/c I had one of each one day)...

I could go on and on....

eventually, when I either get a new computer or look pathetic enough that someone does it for me, I will share pictures...

"come and see what God has done, how awesome His works in our behalf" (psalm 66:5)
much, much more to tell, vent, and what-not :)

2 comments:

Stacy said...

yay!!! she's back!!! i better not have to wait another month. i'll upload your pics for you...i'll bring my new laptop when i see you next (either next weekend or my b-day weekend...i'll let you know) and hook a sister up!

DeSha said...

I told ya...it's all about rollin with the right posse (hebrews, again)